Monday, June 10, 2013

Impression Garden "Rocks"

Art in unexpected places can be a fun surprise.  Some of my favorite examples involve natural items arranged in a simple beautiful pattern, painted or drawn on with an intricate design, sometimes hidden from high traffic so it will go undisturbed, hopefully.  Inspired by many pictures I've seen of painted rocks, and other items found in nature, my five year old and I created our own "rocks" with impressions from nature to hide in our potted plants.


We used air dry clay for our "rocks" and gathered a combination of organic and fake materials found in nature to make impressions.




Once they were dry we painted them using watercolors and added a layer of Mod Podge to protect our work.  We arranged our "rocks" in our potted garden, hidden beneath the foliage to surprise anyone who might spy them near our door.





Now we always have color in our garden, even when our plants aren't blooming.  Create your own "rocks" with your kids and leave an impression on someone by hiding it in an unexpected place!

Stay up to date on all our Little Moments and more; likour facebook page, or join us on Google+! 

2 comments:

  1. These turned out so beautifully! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crafty project with the kiddos! Love this idea i'm gonna have to try it :) Today the kids and I made play dough, I'm always looking for ways to entertain them :) http://healthycraftymommys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, stop by any time!
-Heather